I-Spy Quilt 2.0
After over 10 years of quilting we’ve definitely got a growing collection of quilts that are made use of in the family. Whether it’s for keeping warm, picnicking on or building tents with, they all get enjoyed at some point.
But the quilt that has always had the most use, and has actually ended up being most useful, is the I-Spy Quilt I made about 4 years ago for Miss P.
With the quilt top made up of a whole lot of individual squares with pictures, numbers, letters and shapes, we’ve spent hours with Miss P going through and having her identify each item and then, as she got older, being able to talk about which one’s are her favourite or playing I-Spy with it, as it was always intended.
When Master L arrived it wasn’t long before we found ourselves laying him down on the I-Spy quilt like we had his sister. Tummy time, which he usually hated, was much more tolerable and interesting with all sorts of colours, shapes, and images to look at.
What we didn’t realise, though, is how protective Miss P was over her I-Spy quilt. She would watch her brother on her quilt but the minute he rolled away she would grab it.
So, what does any obsessive home crafter do when one quilt just isn’t enough? Make another one of course.
There was still plenty of fabric left over from fussy cutting all the squares for Miss P’s I-Spy quilt and I’d collected more since so, other than needing some extra sashing, binding and backing, I pretty much had most of the quilt on hand. At least that’s what I told myself in that ongoing dialogue most crafters have in their head, to make their latest project seem economically viable ; )
Once again I fussy cut 4.5″ squares, making sure to center feature unique pictures, letters, shapes or numbers. Every square had to be different but I was able to get multiple squares from some fabrics.
Then it was time to lay them all out, alternating types of image, colours and values, and then sew them all together. I wanted this quilt to be a bit bigger, but had used all the fabrics I had available to make the I-Spy squares. And I didn’t want to buy any more fabric since the mission was to only use the fabric I already had. So, to create the larger size I decided to sash it with a dotted fabric, which would also frame the busy-ness of the I-Spy squares.
Now that the top was made it was time to decide on backing.
After playing around with different fabrics I found this fantastic alphabet fabric.
I loved the idea of making it a double sided quilt, with the alphabet and animals to find on the back so, after also framing it with the simple dot fabric that I had used on the front, I had my backing.
The quilting was quick and easy since I went with cross hatch quilting, which I wanted to use to, again, balance the busy-ness of the fabrics used.
The binding was the obvious choice of a stripe for me, because I have a thing for spots and stripes together, especially when in black and white. Binding added and done.
I have to say that I love this I-Spy quilt even more than the first one I made. They will both always be special to me, and hopefully to the kids, but the construction and design of 2.0 is definitely an improvement over the first version.
I’ve also learnt over my time quilting that I definitely prefer clean, simple design in my quilts and the black and white and spot and stripes lend to that preference.